Tuesday, April 27, 2010

garden woes

So...Devon and I are beginning to wonder if the garden is gonna produce anything this year.  Maybe we're not being patient enough.  It is the first time for both of us doing this.  We tilled up a pretty big area of land and one of our biggest problems is weeds (aka:  grass and clovers!)  I truly cannot keep up.  I'm able to keep the tops of our rows pretty clear, but the sides are beginning to look like full rows of grass.  That cannot be good.  Some of this grass is so deeply rooted, that all I do is break it off. 

I was really excited about our radishes.  They seemed to be one of the only things really growing.  I looked at the seed package and it looked like the radishes met all qualifications for picking.  I was beyond excited to go out there and pick them after church on Sunday, I could hardly get home fast enough.  Well I went out there took the below picture...picked a radish only to not find a radish at all.  I dug deep thinking that it had to be down there somewhere!  (i've learned where it should be now, don't worry).  I then saw the tinyest little bulb that I believe was suppose to be the radish.  Sad.  I put it back into the ground hoping that maybe a little more time would make it plump up.  Who knows... 
Our Spinach is little, but it's there.  Our tiny little kahl plants are being nibbled away.  Our broccoli has little plants, so here's hoping!  We got one tomatoe plant budding up...which I was very excited to discover!  Nothing coming up in the carrots or peppers areas. 

The question is...do we perservere and go ahead and plant our beans, squash, and zuchnni? 
I know one think I've learned is that I think we need to start our plants ahead of time next year, in those little black plastic trays (don't you love my garden lingo).    Nothing like learning as we go :)

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Before you plant the rest of your garden put black plastic down. It keeps the weeds and grass from growing.
Love you,
Momma

Anonymous said...

I hope to come over and help with those weeds .... Thom said wait a little longer for the radishes. The package gives the harvest time as if it were in ideal conditions. Time will certainly tell! See you soon!!

Annie said...

I say keep fighting the good fight! Go to the mattresses! You will reap a good harvest and a killer farmer tan:)

Jennifer said...

Keep trying! You could put some wheat straw around your plants. That helps to keep moisture in and weeds out. Don't be discouraged if your seeds have not sprouted. That happens to us a lot. Go to a nursery or hardware store and pick up some plants to put in the garden. For your first garden try things you know will grow--cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and hot peppers usually do really well. Good luck!
Jen

Jules said...

Jen is on the money! The last three you mentioned are the easiest to grow - success will come! :)